No holiday cookie tray would be complete without cute little Gingerbread Men. Our version of this recipe includes whole grain flours, fresh ginger and maple syrup. Delicious on their own and also fun to decorate.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups whole grain emmer flour
- 1 cup whole grain whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a large bowl, using a hand or stand mixer, blend together butter with sugar and maple syrup until creamy. Add fresh ginger and molasses and continue to blend until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flours, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and ground ginger. Gradually add to butter mixture, beat until just combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll dough into 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Use your favourite cookie cutter(s) to cut out shapes in the dough, re-rolling and cutting scraps as necessary.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper, and bake for 9-10 minutes, until bottoms and edges are lightly brown. Cool completely before icing.