Sugar cookies are a staple around most holiday treat table. This recipe takes the traditional recipe and adds a healthy twist, with whole spelt and honey, and icing made with greek yogurt.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Natural food colouring, sparkling sugar or coconut (optional)
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, honey and cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until blended.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, beat until just combined.
- Divide dough in half. Flatten each into discs, wrap with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll dough into 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Use your favourite cookie cutter(s) to cut out shapes in the dough, re-rolling and cutting scraps as necessary.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper, and bake for 10-12 minutes, until bottoms and edges are lightly brown. Cool completely.
- To prepare icing, whisk together the powdered sugar, yogurt and rind. Pipe or drizzle over cookies and top with coconut, coloured sugar if desired.