Just in time for St. Patricks Day…A ancient grain twist to a traditional Irish favourite.
2 1/2 cups spelt flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp cold butter, diced
1 egg white
2/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour sugar, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in butter until the mixture is in course crumbs.
- In a small bowl, which together the egg white and buttermilk. Stir into the flour mixture with a fork to form a soft dough,
- On a lightly floured surface and with floured hands, press dough into a ball. Gently knead the dough 10 times. Place on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Gently pat the dough out into a 6 inch circle. Dust the top with flour and score with a large “X”.
- Bake in the centre of oven for about 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a rack and let cool.