Fresh local market raspberries are paired with whole wheat and emmer flour for this delicious and easy to make summer upside-down cake.
For the topping:
- 3 cups raspberries
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil or unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup emmer flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease skillet or cake pan with 3 tablespoons of coconut oil (or butter). Sprinkle the bottom with 1/4 cup sugar. Arrange the raspberries hollow side up in the skillet/pan until the bottom is completely covered. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric hand mixer to beat 3/4 cane sugar with 1/3 cup oil until creamy. Add eggs, yogurt and vanilla and continue to beat until mixed. Add flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Place dollops of batter to the top of the raspberries, making sure it is evenly distributed. Smooth with a spatula.
- Bake in centre rack of oven and bake for 40 minutes, until the top of the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for at least 45-60 minutes. Cover pan with a large plate or platter and flip over so that the cake is resting on the plate. Gently remove the pan. Slice, serve with whipped cream and enjoy!