This hearty flavourful multigrain sandwich bread is full of grains with a soft texture and tons of flavour. Homemade is so better than the bakery!
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 3/4 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup emmer flour or spelt flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp water
- extra oats and seeds to sprinkle on top of loaves
- In the the bowl of a standing mixer, add the water, yeast and honey and mix until dissolved. Let stand about 5 minutes, or until creamy. Add seeds and let soak another 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, oats and salt. Add to the wet mixture attach the bread hook to the mixer and stir on low setting about 5 minutes, until a ragged ball of dough forms.
- Remove from mixing bowl onto a lightly floured surface. Knead a couple of times, then place in a buttered bowl. Cover with a damp towel, and let sit in a warm area for 30 minutes. You may want to sit the bowl on a kitchen towel to keep the temperature even.
- Remove towel and punch down the dough. Recover with towel and let rest for another 60 minutes, until the dough doubles in size.
- Remove from the bowl onto lightly floured surface and divide the dough in half. Knead each half and shape into a loaf pan size. Place dough into two buttered loaf pans. Cover the pans with the towel and let sit another 60 minutes, letting the dough rise to half its size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk egg white with a tablespoon of water and brush onto loaves. Sprinkle with oats and seeds. Bake for 40 minutes, rotating halfway, until the tops are golden brown. Transfer to wire rack and let cool in pans for about 20 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely before slicing.