- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/8 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 2 3/4 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups whole spelt flour*
- olive oil (for brushing the top of the buns)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with dough hook, dissolve the yeast in the water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine the honey, salt, butter and egg. Add to the yeast mixture, stirring until mixed.
- Turn the mixer on Speed 2, and *begin adding the flour a 1/2 cup at a time until you’ve reached 31/2 cups of flour. Add the remaining flour a tablespoon at a time until the dough forms a ball along the dough hook. Total mixing time is about 5-6 minutes.
- Coat a large clean bowl with oil, then add the dough ball and roll it around in the oil until it’s covered. Cover with a damp cloth and let stand 75 minutes. Punch the dough down then recover and let sit another 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter, and knead lightly into a round ball. Divide the dough into 12-16 balls. Arrange the balls in a cast iron skillet, spacing them equal distance form each other.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover the rolls with the damp towel and let rest about 15 minutes or until the oven is ready. Brush the tops of the dough balls with a little oil, then bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown.