A super simple recipe for a cozy meal at home. A great side to chili, pulled pork or any barbecue meal.
2 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 1/4 cups cheddar cheese
1/3 cup minced green chilies
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In another bowl, whisk together oil, honey, eggs and buttermilk. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Add 2 cups of the cheese and chilies and gently mix.
- Coat skillet with oil and heat in oven for 5 mins until warm.
- Transfer batter to skillet and smooth top.
- Bake for 20 mins until it start to turn golden. Top with remaining cheddar and bake for another 5 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 mins.