A healthier ancient grain spin to a traditional favourite. Makes a great snack.
This recipe make a version has just a touch of sweetness so the banana flavour shines through. If you like sweeter bread feel free to add more sweetness if desired. Just remember if you add more honey, you may want to reduce the oil slightly to balance the moisture.
This recipe calls for ripe bananas, but if your bananas aren’t ripe yet, try this tip to ripen them quickly
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (or thawed frozen bananas)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or high quality vegetable oil of your choice)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup Emmer flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and honey. Add the eggs and beat some more. Add the mashed bananas, vanilla and lemon juice until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the Emmer flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
- Add Emmer mixture to the wet ingredients, and mix until just combined. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling for 20 about 20 mins.